Every good sandwich consists of three parts.
- First, you have the top piece of the bread,
- then you have the bottom piece of bread
- and finally you have the meat in the center.
"All authority in Heaven and on earth has been given to me ..."
The top piece of The Great Commission Sandwich is CHRIST'S AUTHORITY! How much authority does Christ have? All authority! Where does Christ have authority? Everywhere, in both Heaven and earth.
This is important to understand because Jesus is about to give out some orders or commands that He expects his disciples to follow and he wanted us to know that He really does have the authority to issue out those commands. In other words, it is as if Jesus is saying to us,
THE BOTTOM PIECE OF THE BREAD FOR THE GREAT COMMISSION!
"... and low I am with you always, even to the ends of the age."
The bottom piece of The Great Commission Sandwich is Christ's continual PRESENCE! As Christ is sending us out on this mission he is wanting to reassure us that we will not be going at it alone! Christ is wanting to remind us that His presence through the working of the Holy Spirit will be our consistent companion for His power and presence, even in the midst of the most adverse situations. He reminds us of his presence to reassure us that we can do this mission because He is with us do ing it through us.
THE MEAT OF THE GREAT COMMISSION!
1. Make Disciples Of Christ: We are to go share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and lead others to faith in Christ so they too can become His faithful disciples also. Making more disciples is the command. The other two parts are to support this primary activity. You are not being obedient to the Great Commission if you are not sharing Jesus with others and how they too can be saved.
2. Baptize Them: This is peoples way for people to publicly declare their allegiance to Christ. They may not be mature followers of Christ when they are baptized but the are sure they want to follow Christ.
3. Teach Them To Obey Christ's Command: Teaching people to know what Christ commanded isn't enough. We must teach them to obey Christ. The Bible says that to obey is better than sacrifice. We are to be doers of the word and not hearers only. Obedience is the proof of true discipleship. Jesus said, "why do you call me Lord but do what I say?" To claim to be a disciple of Christ but not to obey Him is an oxymoron!