Friday, September 12, 2014

4 STEPS FOR ALLOWING GOD'S POWER TO WORK THROUGH YOUR WEAKNESSES

I don't know if you know it or not but God loves to use weak people! That's right! I said that God loves to use weak people.  And the good part is - everybody has a weakness! Everybody!  Some people have weaknesses physically, emotionally, intellectually, or spiritually. Regardless of what the weakness is the point remains - we all have one or more!

The way most people deal with their weaknesses is by either defending them, excusing them, hiding them or denying them.  But God has a different perspective about our weakness and how to deal with them.  The Bible tells us in Isaiah 55:9

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways

    and my thoughts than your thoughts."

You see God often works in the exact opposite way of what we expect.  We think God only wants to use our strengths but more often than not God wants to use our weaknesses to manifest His glory!

Why?

Because ...

  • They cause us to depend on God - Which is a very good thing!
  • They prevent arrogance from creeping it our hearts and keeps us humble.
  • They encourage fellowship between believers. Having limitations reminds us that we need help from others.
  • They give us the capacity to sympathize with others as we minister to them.

4 Steps For Allowing God's Power 

To Work Through Your Weaknesses


Step #1:  Admit You Have Weaknesses:
In the New Testament there were two great confessions.  The first one is with the Apostle Peter when he said about Jesus, "You are the Christ the Son of the living God."  The second was the Apostle Paul to an idolizing crowd who believed that he and Barnabas were Gods.  Paul said, "We are only human beings like you."  
If we want God to use us through our weaknesses we must first know who He is (He's God) and we must also know who we are (We're Not God).  We must never forget the 2nd truth. We are only humans and apart from Christ we can do nothing.

Step #2:  Delight In Your Weaknesses:
"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor 12:9-10
This verse gives us the idea of being content with God's grace and with our weaknesses.  However, most of us don't want to be content with our weaknesses - we want to be freed from them. We want to eliminate our weaknesses.
But Why Should We Be Content Or Delight In Our Weaknesses?
"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." 1 Cor. 1:27 (NIV)
God likes uses our weaknesses to remind us that we are not all that important, that we truly are dependent upon Him for everything and thereby keep us humble.  Humility, not pride, is the virtue that God looks for in a person to do his extraordinary work.  
Step #3:  Honestly Share Your Weaknesses:


Ministry always begins with vulnerability. The more you let down your guard, take off your mask and share your struggles the more God can use you to serve others.  


Paul Modeled Vulnerability
  • Through His failures - Romans 7:19
  • Through His feelings - 2 Cor 6:11
  • Through His frustrations - 2 Cor 1:8
  • Through His fears - 1 Cor 2:3
Step #4:  Glory In Your Weakness:

Read how the Living Bible writes 2 Cor. 12:5

"I am going to boast only about how weak I am and how great 
God is to use such weakness for his glory."

Here's another way of putting it:
WE ARE GOD'S TROPHY'S OF GRACE!

This one verse in the song "He Covers Me" by Steve Camp's I think incapsulates the whole message of allowing God's power work through our weaknesses!

"Sometimes the pressure builds around me and I feel about to break
I suffer painfully from wrongs done to me but vengeance isn't mine to take
So let me glory in my weakness till Your strength's revealed in me
It is Your grace alone that helps me carry on to be the man I long to be
So let Your life be perfected, Lord in me
Until it's You they see"


In my group The Ordinary Christian we have a saying that is kind of our theme song.  It goes like this:

Just because I'm ordinary doesn't mean I'm secondary;
Ordinary Christians are God's primary choice
For accomplishing His extraordinary work!

So let us glory in our weakness and our ordinariness so that God's magnificence can be supremely displayed!

"Oh Father God and Lord Jesus may it be true with us that we are willing to lay on your alter all who we are including our weaknesses and allow you to have full control of them and to use them in whatever way you decide is best. Lord it is our prayer that through our weakness your power and glory is magnified.  Shine through us Lord Jesus.  Amen"

SHARE THIS POST