So what is it? When Jesus sent the twelve out two by two and then later when he sent out the 70 he taught them the importance of this next essential step. Read what God's word has to say:
PRAYER STRATEGY CONSIST OF?
How much time, like that, do you spend with God daily? If it is anything under an hour you need to improve. An hour should be the minimal amount of time you spend in prayer with God each day. Why? Because Jesus when talking with Peter in the garden asked him, "Couldn't you keep watch with me for one hour?" as if one hour was no big deal. Jesus knew that Peter was about to have the biggest spiritual fight of his life and in essence was telling him that he was going to need an hour at least to get through it. We should take heed of Jesus' advice as well.
- CHURCH PLANTERS NEEDS: Every church planter/team will have personal needs that they will need for God to provide. God has promised that if we are seeking His kingdom and His righteousness that all the things that we need, not necessarily the things we want, will be provided for us. In the book of James we are told that we do not have what we need from God because we don't ask God to meet that need. It also tells us that the times we do ask but don't receive is because we are asking with the wrong motives of gratifying our sinful flesh or we ask with a lack of faith.
- WORKERS: In the verses we cited earlier from the books of Matthew and Luke we see that the solution to the lack of workers in the field is to pray for God to raise them up and send them out into the field. Therefore, it is vital that prayers be lifted up to provide more workers for the church.
- SPIRITUAL SIGHT TO SEE WHERE GOD IS AT WORK: Jesus shared his strategy for knowing what to do. He said that he did nothing on his own initiative but only what he saw the Father doing and whatever he saw the Father do he joined him in that work. That should be our strategy as well but in order to do that we need to have spiritual eyes that God has opened to see where He is working. This spiritual sight can only happen when God reveals to us what he is doing. As a church planter our daily prayer should be for God to open our eyes to see where he is at work that day and to give us the faith to join him.
- SPIRITUAL PROTECTION: As I shared earlier there will be times when Satan is going to ask God's permission to sift you like wheat and God is going to grant him that permission. We call this spiritual warfare. Satan's intent is to destroy your faith but God's plan is to use it to strengthen your faith. James 1:1 says, "Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result that you may be perfect, complete, lacking in nothing." We need prayers lifted up on our behalf asking God to strengthen and encourage us during those times of testing. AND ORDINARY CHRISTIAN YOU ARE GOING TO BE TESTED!
- NAMES OF THE SPIRITUAL LOST: Our mission is to Make Disciples of Christ. That means we are to seek out, in this dark world, people who don't know Jesus, befriend them and share the good news of Jesus with them. Those people need to be prayed for by name. Prayer is our way of preparing the spiritual ground of lost people's lives to be ready to receive the seed of the gospel. Preparing the hearts of the lost is a work that only God can do. God the Father is the gardener who prepares the ground. The Bible says that no one comes to Jesus unless the Father first draws him. Our prayers, therefore, are to intercede on behalf of the lost people we have met, pleading with God to work in their lives and draw them to Jesus.
- NEW DISCIPLES SPIRITUAL GROWTH: As people come to faith in Christ and experience the new birth they need to grow up and learn to obey all that Christ has commanded. As we all know that growth is not always an easy road to travel. These newborn children need the prayers of their spiritual family interceding before God on their behalf.
- Pick a time and place where you will meet God daily for at least one hour for a personal time of prayer.
- Start meeting weekly together with your church planting team for prayer and planning. Pick a day and time for that weekly prayer/planning meeting.
- In some way form a Prayer Warriors Group using social media or some other way and start sending weekly prayer requests and updates. Make it your goal to recruit 200 to 300 strong prayer warriors.
- Start a Prayer Journal listing the prayer needs from the four categories (Church Planter Needs, Workers, Spiritual Sight, Spiritual Protection, Names of Lost People, and Names of New Disciples). Start praying over them personally, in your leadership team meeting and share them with your prayer warriors.
- Keep a record of how God has answered your prayers.